- The provision of adequate text description to accompany graphics (93% failed);
- Over reliance on java script for functionality. Java script is particularly hard to handle if you are visually impaired and using speech software (73% of all websites surveyed relied on some form of java script);
- Poor color contrast. Again this applies to the visually impaired population - individuals with are colour blind. It is important not only to differentiate between colours but also between tones (78% of sites surveyed had poor colour contrast);
- Programing code used was below standard. Apparently 98% of sites were substandard. I have to admit I know very little about this and cannot comment on it;
- Inability to alter or resize the page;
- 89% of the sites were hard to navigate;
- Excessive use of pop-up windows leading to problems with screen magnification software.
Click here to go to the article.